When planting corn it is highly recommended that you have a good weed management plan.
Keep in mind that our seed corn is open pollinated and non-gmo so if glyphosate touches it it will die.
If using herbicides always read and follow the label! :
2018 Suggestions :
Things to consider: weeds that are up, weeds that you expect to see, following crop, cost, time, use restrictions.
Suggested corn herbicide program for 2018 always read and follow the label!
*Costs are approximates and are likely to vary.
2018 Ideal Herbicide Plan includes residual herbicides to control grasses and broad leaves.
Goals: plant clean and stay clean.
2-3 weeks before planting (around April 10)
- S-Metolachlor (ie. Medal ii EC, Dual ii Magnum) 2 pt costs $12.72
- Atrazine 90 DF at 0.6 lb costs $1.65
7-10 days before planting (burn down program)
- Sharpen (if you have any Marestail) 1 oz costs $4.65
- Glyphosate at 1.5 qt and costs $4.50
- Ammonium Sulfate dry sprayable costs $1.40
- MSO at 1 pt cost $1.38
- 2,4-D LV4 1 pt cost $1.91
Early Post or pre-emerge
- Balance Flexx at 3 oz 1 rounded leaf stage costing $8.65
- MSO at 1 pt costs $1.38
- Atrazine 90 DF 1.1 lb costs $3.04
If any Broadleaf escapes ie. Morning glory
- Status at 3 oz costs $9.15
Total costs of burndown and residuals : $41.48
Status if needed: $9.15
May cost: $50.63
*Suggested corn herbicide program for 2018 always read and follow the label!
Foxtails are usually the biggest challenge for open pollinated corn and must be controlled early. The S-Metolachlor and Balance Flexx will work for residual foxtail control. S-Metolacchlor will not kill any foxtail that is emerged.
Read the labels and consider your next crop when choosing herbicides.
No pesticide license? Contact us we will try to recommend a plan that will work for you.